Celebrating 30 years of GNU, at Paris 8 University, on September 21, 2013
GNU turns 30
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the initial announcement, several events are being organized on the initiative of the the Free Software Foundation (FSF). The main event, which Richard Stallman will attend, will take place at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), in Cambridge, MA, from the 28th to the 29th of September, 2013.
Celebrating 30 years of GNU at Paris 8 University, on September 21, 2013
On September 21, 2013, April will have the pleasure of hosting an event to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the GNU Project. Richard Stallman will be giving a lecture at Paris 8 University, in Saint-Denis.1 This September 21st, at 15:00, Richard will speak about free software, its philosophy, the GNU Project, and the ways to contribute (direct audio streaming on http://audio.april.org). This lecture is for the general public and will be given in French. Other activities will follow; the schedule is being finalized.
Agenda and practical information
Address: Université Paris 8 - 2 rue de la Liberté - 93526 Saint-Denis, Métro station Saint-Denis Université (line 13).
Agenda September 21, 2013
- Date and time: Saturday September 21, 2013, at 15:00
- Lecture title: Le mouvement pour le Logiciel Libre et le système GNU/Linux
- 10:30: "GNU Hacking" workshop which will cover topics such as the role of a GNU package maintainer, how work is orgaized within development teams, the GNU standards, tools, etc. Active GNU project members will be present. The workshop will take place at "le bocal" which is located in building A, 1st floor (room A 187).
- 15:00 in Amphitheatre X, Richard stallman lecture: "Le mouvement pour le Logiciel Libre et le système GNU/Linux". Direct audio streaming on http://audio.april.org
- Around 17:00 (after the lecture), the workshops will be held at "le bocal" which is located building A, 1st floor (room A 187).
- "GNU Hacking" workshop which will cover topics such as the role of a GNU package maintainer, how work is orgaized within development teams, the GNU standards, tools, etc. Active GNU project members will be present.
- Coding goûter session: an introduction to programming for young children and their parents using a Free Software visual tool
- Around 7pm to midnight: apéritif, party and open discussions. Please, if possible, bring something to drink and/or a snack to share
This page will be updated as soon as the program is finalized.
Don't hesitate, of course, to organize your own events.
Many thanks to Luca, Therese, Tony, Juna, Jeanne and the April translation team for the translation. April's English translation team is recruiting volunteers.
- 1. Paris 8 University, which is located in Saint-Denis, is an important and symbolic place for April. It was there that the founders of April studied in the 90s; it was there that they discovered free software and founded April upon graduation. It was also at Paris 8 University that April organized its first Richard Stallman lecture, 15 years ago, in November of 1998.